What Food And Items Are Dangerous To Cats?

Just because we can eat it, doesn’t mean it’s safe for our cats! Here is a list of food that your cat should avoid!

Food that is dangerous to cats


Both raw and cooked onion can be harmful to your cat and could cause gastrointestinal problems. Be careful of food items that may have onion as a hidden ingredient, such as gravy.


An ingredient in chocolate called theobromine is poisonous to cats and can give them a huge array of issues such as kidney failure, heart problems and even seizures. Generally the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Keep all chocolate away from cats and take special care around Halloween and Christmas where chocolatey treats are more likely to be left around the house.

The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for cats, but ALL chocolate should be avoided.


It’s probably no surpise that alcohol isn’t good for cats and even a small amount can lead to liver problems. Never give alcohol to any animal.

Raw dough

Raw dough can expand in the stomach and cause problems.

Grapes and raisins

Even a small amount of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure. Whilst some cats can have no ill effects, in other cats, it can cause abdominal pain, lethargy, diarrhoea and reduced urination. It isn’t worth the risk so avoid giving any grapes or raisins to your cat.


You may be surprised to learn that cats should not be given milk as they are actually lactose intolerant and milk can cause stomach upset. Avoid giving them a saucer of milk and offer a bowl instead.

Household objects that are dangerous to cats


Cats are tempted by antifreeze because it has a sweet taste, but ingesting it could prove to be fatal for your cat. A few drops in a puddle that a cat then drinks from or if they were to walk through it and then lick their paws could cause them harm. Symptoms are drooling, frequent urination (or not passing any urine), vomiting and loss of appetite.


Lilies are poisonous to cats and they don’t even have to chew on the plant to end up in trouble – even brushing past a lily plant and getting the pollen on them can prove to be fatal. They can cause kidney failure and it’s best not to have them in your house at all.


Paracetamol is toxic to cats and can cause irreversible damage to their blood vessels and liver. Ibuprofen is also dangerous to cats and neither should ever be given to cats. Only give your cat medication as directed by your veterinarian.

Dog food

Eating dog food now and again won’t cause your cat to have any issues, however, a cat should never be fed a dog diet exclusively. The reason being is cats cannot produce an important amino acid called Taurine and all cat food has it added to the diet. Without having taurine in their diet, cats can develop vision problems and heart disease so only feed a complete cat diet.

How can I prevent my cat from eating something that may harm her?

There are some steps you can take to keep your cat safe.

  • Keep all medications in a locked cabinet away from your cat.
  • Deter your cat from jumping on your kitchen counters, especially when you are cooking.
  • Feed them a good quality, complete diet for cats.
  • Be especially careful around the holiday seasons when more tasty treats could be left out and you may have visitors over who might think they are being kind by sharing their Christmas dinner with your cat.
  • Explain to young children that they shouldn’t share their food with the cat and only let them give them cat safe treats.
  • Avoid feeding table scraps.

If you have any concerns that your cat may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, contact your vet as soon as possible and if you can, take the packaging of the ingested item with you and give it to your vet so they can see the ingredients.

Click here to read what you should keep in your cat’s first aid box.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!